Sunday, May 07, 2006

My prayer for us today

Like Brother Lawrence in the monastery kitchen with his pots and pans, we must learn The Practice of the Presence of God (the entire text of that book, which records some of his thoughts on prayer, is posted on our site). Brother Lawrence speaks of being aware of God every waking moment, as one way of "praying without ceasing." We can think our every thought to God in prayer. Yet it also is good to set aside a certain time every day to pray without distraction. An hour of the day like a Sabbath island of time, in which we are temporarily free of the time pressures and constraints of this life.

My Father,

Give us strength to live another day. Let us not turn coward before difficulties or prove recreant to its duties. Let me not lose faith in my fellowmen. Keep me sweet and sound of heart in spite of ingratitude, treachery, or meanness; preserve me from from minding little stings or giving them; help me to keep my heart clean and to live so honestly and fearlessly that no outward failure can dishearten me or take the joy of conscious integrity; open wide the eyes of my spirit that I may see good in all things. Grant me this day some new vision of your truth; inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness, and make me a cup of strength to suffering souls; in the name of the strong Deliver, our only Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home