Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Practicing the presence of God

I pause for a moment, aware that God is here.
I think of how everything around me,
the air I breathe, my whole body,
is tingling with the presence of God.


Freedom

I try to let go of concerns and worries
that may be dragging me down at this present moment.
I place any concerns I have in Gods hands
- at least for these few minutes of prayer.


Consciousness

I remind myself that I am in the presence of the Lord.
I will take refuge in His loving heart.
He is my strength in times of weakness.
He is my comforter in times of sorrow.


The Word

God speaks to each one of us individually. I need to listen
to hear what he is saying to me. Read the text a few times, then listen.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 3:1-8


Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews. He came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do apart from the presence of God." Jesus answered him, "Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above." Nicodemus said to him, "How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother's womb and be born?" Jesus answered, "Very truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be astonished that I said to you, 'You must be born from above.' The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you saying to me, Lord?



Some thoughts on today's scripture:


Nicodemus was a Pharisee, one of a closely-knit brotherhood who were pledged to keep every detail of the Law, as expressed in the first five books of the bible. They were good people, but they had created such a maze of obligations that it was a life-time's work to remember them all. In face of that, Jesus was saying something simple: Be born of the Spirit. Love God and love your neighbour.


The love of God is poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who is given to us, and who makes us children of God. Lord, may I heed your spirit, and live by the spirit.




Conversation

Begin to talk to Jesus about the piece of scripture you have just read.
What part of it strikes a chord in you?
Perhaps the words of a friend - or some story you have heard recently
- will slowly rise to the surface of your consciousness.
If so, does the story throw light on what the scripture passage may be trying to say to you?


Conclusion

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home